Sunday, January 13, 2013

Well, yeah, we need to go to the capitol!

From the Heartland, Margot McMillen writes: At the Women’s Network Meeting, I learned as much during the breaks as during the presentations. Isn’t that always the case? You get into a side conversation and learn what’s really bugging people. Like I found out, much to my surprise, that people, even engaged women like these with issues they care about, think it’s a waste of time and a nuisance to talk to lawmakers, and so they don’t do it! “Do I have to go to Jefferson City?” they said. “Do I really have to go to my senator’s office when she’s in town?” Well, hell yeah you have to! When I go to a farm issue lobby day, and I find myself side by side with farmers who had to get up at 4 in the morning, do chores, and drive 3 or 4 hours from the corners of the state to walk in the halls with me, I’m ashamed that, with less than an hour’s drive, I’m not there every week. The thing is that lawmakers need to hear our voices and see our faces. Believe me, they know all the lobbyists by name and see them every day. It’s up to us to help lawmakers resist the lobbyists and do the right thing. And, even if we don’t think our lawmakers agree with us, we can give cover to the ones that see things the way we do. So let’s say you’ve talked to your Senator, Mr. X, against Bill Number 50. But Senator X is going to vote for it. That’s when you go to Senator Y, who sponsored Bill Number 50, and you say, hey, I’m in Senator X’s district but I agree with you and I have a lot of neighbors who do also. And in the next coffee break, maybe Senator Y will tell Senator X that you stopped by. And if that happens enough, well, who knows? Maybe your disagreeable senator will have a family emergency when the vote comes up, and not vote at all. Stranger things have happened. If you have no luck at all finding anyone in their offices, don’t feel shy about chatting up the legislative aides or the secretaries. And sit down and write a note to the lawmaker, then follow it up with a phone call. And, oh yeah, find something to look forward to at the capitol. Like, for me, I haven’t seen the Rush Limbaugh bust yet. They say it’s good luck to pat his forehead, with the bonus that you’ll be on the security camera when you stop there! Can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment